Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Canvas Chat: Meet Artist Kevork Boyrazian


All right here we go! This week's interview is with artist, Kevork Boyrazian. He's a ball point pen artist who focuses on photo realism. His pieces are breath taking. First glance sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between a photo and an illustration. I had that issue when I first saw his Bruce Lee piece. Two of his pieces are featured in Local Artist Trading Initiative, Series II :Heroes.

Tell us about yourself?

My name is Kevork Boyrazian, I reside in the United States.
I have an immense addiction to stay active. I love to exercise, go bike riding for many miles, long walks, skateboarding, and of course, utilizing my artistic skills at every chance that I get. I like to listen to all genres of music. I enjoy going to the movies and catching a good flick. I like cooking, eating healthy foods and enjoy splurging on junk food a few times a week. Yes, I love to indulge with “chocolate!”




What is “Creativity” to you?

I think creativity is a constant brainstorm for me. It is not just being in front of my drawing table but rather, seeing ‘life’ with an artistic value in everything. While watching TV or being online, or even being out and about, I always seem to come across an image of some sort; that I put into perspective and envision a creative imagery. My thoughts constantly work on what it is that I’m going to do next. I take lots of pictures of things that stand out to me, simple things that people enjoy seeing. I know that I will use a particular image somewhere down the road that will be illustrated with a ballpoint pen.

 Do you remember your first drawing?

I absolutely do! My very first drawing was ‘Bart Simpson.’ During my childhood, I constantly drew him and ‘Homer’ with a pencil then colored it with crayons because it was easy to do. Many students in class at the time were drawing these because of the simplicity of bold outlines to create such a simple cartoon character.

Tell us about your style?

I say my style would be ‘photo-realism.’ I like to capture the details as they appear in photos. I was always intrigued at viewing artwork that looked like photographs, and the amount of patience required to accomplish that is implausible.

Do you have any creative rituals or routines you do before you get started working on something?

Well I analyze the picture, sometimes for hours on end, whether it’s black and white, or color. It takes me some time to figure out what scale of a drawing I’m going to do, and how the final layout will appear on my paper. I do not like to rush, I take my time. I visualize, and then actualize.

Can you describe the time when you first realized that creating was something you absolutely had to do?

Well during my high school years, that’s all I did. I doodled throughout the day to help increase my skills.
Students in school would ask me to draw for them, and I didn’t mind at all.

Do you have a favorite piece that you’ve made that holds special meaning to you?

I think everything that I’ve created is special to me. I have put in so much time and effort. I don’t necessarily have one piece, but rather, I value and cherish all of them.

If you could work for a day with any artist, living or passed away, who would it be and why?


Wow, this one is tough because there are so many! I have to say that I get a lot of inspiration from a London based artist by the name of ‘James Mylne.’ When I first discovered his work several years ago, I knew that I wanted to one day, be able to display my work just like his. I was so flabbergasted by his artwork, and that is the level of ‘realism’ I want to achieve.

What memorable responses have you had to your work?

I’ve had people tell me how “real and photographic” my artwork looks. I have also had folks tell me how “expensive” my artwork looks and the unimaginable time that I put into it!

What is your dream project?

Eventually, I want to exhibit my work in a gallery. I would also like to create in a larger scale because I can add MORE details.

What project are you working on now?

I’m currently working on a commission and getting ready for LACT’s next competition for “Series III”

Do you have any advice to give the many aspiring artists out there?

Everyone has a talent. You also should have the desire to draw. Artwork and or creativity are perishable skills. If you want to get better, you have to spare some time and dedication to create with freehand, quick sketches and don’t worry about making mistakes. We all started off with drawing squares, rectangles, and spheres. That is our foundation for the beginning of a masterpiece. What I can say is, practice a lot!

Can you finish this sentence:

I think the future of fine art is, getting recognition by the art industry for “ballpoint pen artwork.”
There is little to no credit for this medium. Artists who work with ballpoint pens give so much time and effort to complete their masterpieces. It is slowly progressing in popularity.

Where can we find your work?


All Artwork included in this piece are property of Kevork Boyrazian and have been shared with his express permission.






2 comments:

  1. Thank you again for accepting my interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful and thank you so much for your time!

    ReplyDelete