Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Canvas Chat: Meet the Artist, Shanice Bevans

Cosplay as Ezio Auditore, costume
Made by Shanice Bevans 


I thought I would start interviewing some of my fellow artists here at the Canvas, its a great way to learn more about what others are doing. How they are inspired and just a brief glance into another's mind.

So without further adieu, Here's my interview with the multi-talented Shanice Bevans. She plays guitar, cooks, sews, draws and paints, those are a tiny view into a very talented Artist:

The First Canvas Chat with Artist Shanice Bevans

Tell us about where you are from and how you got started?

I’m currently from Palmdale, Ca, originally from Los Angeles. I started with art in my younger years with basic supplies and having time to draw when I had any chance I got.



When did you discover your artistic talents?

Although it was not me, I believe my family sort of knew I had some artistic talent somewhere. Seeing that my mom could paint an exact portrait of you free hand, and my older brother being able to draw as well, it wasn’t surprising that I would be able too myself. I began doodling when I was about 3 or 4 years old when my mother bought me a drawing pad and a box of Crayola markers, but really didn’t start taking an interest until I was 6 years old. From then on, I’ve tried my hands on different mediums, and love to do traditional work like drawing, painting, and sculpting more so than digital art.

This drawing was done when I was living in the dorms,
 and one of the many corridors the University had.
Cosplay?

When I had turned 18, I started taking a huge interest in the world of cosplay, and wanted to try it out myself. Since then, I have been involved with the community and love sewing costumes for myself rather than buying them. You get more respect when they are handmade because it shows the effort that you put into it.



Shanice shared with us some of her pieces, that range from Tradtional to Digtial art. Which are displayed through out the post.

How would you describe your style?

I’m not sure if I have a set style yet since I experiment every so often based on what I see daily. I have yet to call one my own, but when I do I’ll let you know lol.

What influences you when start a piece of work?

Music is my biggest influence whenever I'm getting ready to create something. Instrumental music or classical influenced pieces sets me up to what I would like to do. It helps me concentrate and block out anything that would be distracting.

Sketched from a quick photo I took of the Hollywood
 sign in the distance from the Griffith Observatory
.
Why do enjoy doing what you do?

For me, drawing and painting is a stress reliever, and a way for me to step away from the demands of daily life. I can get lost in my own little world thinking on what’s currently going around me, and sometimes it is reflected in my art. If I were to do this as a career, I would not enjoy it very much because of the demand and expectations. Only as a hobby.




Tell us something Funny that happened to you recently?
A simple self portrait of myself and my guitar 
done in Photoshop.


It’s something not really funny, but I recently slammed into the glass sliding door leading to the backyard thinking it was open. Windex does a very good job lol.

Describe yourself in a few words?

I’m a naturally social and outgoing, yet a quiet and reserved person.



A quick Halloween piece I did for the
 holiday in Open Canvas

Do you have any words of wisdom for aspiring artists?

For those looking to dabble in the arts as a career choice or for fun, you have to learn to take all forms of criticism. Most times, it will not be something you would like to hear about your piece whether good or bad because you think it’s perfect. All artists must take into consideration that not all is downing what you have created, but giving you sound advice to make it better. Once you have learned to accept it, you will appreciate art and the different styles of it more.

To check our more on Shanice Bevans you find here here on deviantArt, Her new gallery is currently vacant but soon to be filled in the coming New Year.

That's all for the moment, I've got plenty of new things to show everyone December was a very busy month for me.

Keep Dreaming Big

Sorianna







No comments:

Post a Comment